Marine Distress Flares & Signal Flares
Boat flares are essential safety devices used by mariners to signal for help or communicate distress in emergencies. These handheld pyrotechnic flares play a crucial role in marine safety. They can help boaters stay safe and make it easier for rescuers to find them by using a visible signal.
Flares for boats and marine use come in various types, each serving a specific purpose. The most common types include parachute flares, hand-held flares and smoke flares.
Parachute flares are designed to provide a high-altitude, long-lasting signal. Hand-held distress flares emit a bright light to attract attention. Smoke flares create a dense, coloured smoke cloud to increase visibility.
We also stock and sell a good selection of electronic LED emergency flares. While not a complete substitute for flares, they are still a valuable safety tool.
What Flares Do You Need On Board?
The amount or type of flares recommended to have on board changes based on the distance offshore you plan to be.
- Inshore Flare Packs - suitable for use up to 3 miles away from shore
- Contains: 2 Red Hand Flares, 2 Handheld Orange Smoke Signals
- Coastal Flare Packs - suitable for use up to 7 miles away from shore
- Contains: 2 Red Hand Flares, 2 Handheld Orange Smoke Signals, 2 Red Parachute Rocket Flares
- Offshore Flare Packs - suitable for use up to and beyond 7 miles from shore
- Contains: 4 Red Hand Flares, 2 Buoyant Orange Smoke Signal, 4 Red Parachute Rocket Flares
Force 4 Chandlery have assembled a brief guide to help you make sure you purchase the right flares for you.