Reeds Maritime Meteorology
Although written primarily for deck officers on merchant ships and for fishermen, Reeds Maritime Meteorology offers an in depth coverage of meteorolgy. It provides descriptions of the elements and forces which contribute to maritime meteorology and the principles which govern them, and deals specifically with:
* Weather forecasting at sea and the use of fax, navtex, and satellite technology
* Cloud formation and development
* Atmospheric pressure and wind
* Waves, sea and swell
* Ocean currents and swell
* Tropical revolving storms
* The development and distribution of sea ice
* Weather routeing
* Passage planning
* The management and care of cargo in heavy weather (ventilation, cargo sweat, spontaneous combustion etc).
There is an extensive glossary, and a fold-out chart of ocean currents as well as numerous explanatory photos and diagrams.
Paperback, 264 pages, 216x138mm, Photos B/W diagrams.